Cyberschool is a comprehensive E-Ratable solution for the web hosting and e-mail needs of K-12 institutions. A discount, up to 90%, is available on eligible E-Rate services.
IES, Inc. spin number: 143027425
The Telecommunications Act, passed by Congress in 1996, obligates telecommunication providers to make discounted services available to the nation’s schools and libraries. This initiative, known as the Education Rate Program or E-Rate, is currently administered by the Schools and Libraries Division (SLD) of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). The following organizations are eligible for E-Rate discounts:
- Elementary and Secondary Public Schools,
- Non-Profit Elementary and Secondary Parochial and Private Schools (with endowments under $50 million),
- Public and Private Non-Profit Libraries accessible to the public.
Schools can apply for E-Rate, using Form 470, to cover web hosting and various other communication charges.
*Although the filing window for Form 471 has not been announced, the application period will likely run through January 2012.
Products and services eligible under the E-Rate program fall into several categories: Telecommunication Services and Internet Access are Priority 1 services. Internet Access (Priority 1) is the category eligible for web hosting and email services. Internal Connections and Basic Maintenance are second priority for funding (Priority 2).
E-Rate provides a discount to Districts and Schools eligible for services based on data collected for the National School Lunch Program. The reimbursement rate depends upon each school’s/district’s eligibility, and ranges between 20-90%.
*Most schools/districts qualify for a minimum 60% discount.
Cyberschool’s E-Rate Eligibility
Since Cyberschool offers web hosting, a Priority 1 service, it qualifies for discounts under the Internet Access category. Certain components of the platform are not considered eligible under the E-Rate program. For this reason, only 85% of Cyberschool’s services qualify for discounts.
*Please contact IES, Inc. for further details @ 877.495.3276
E-Rate Application Instructions - Cyberschool Services
To obtain funding, districts and schools must complete the following three steps:
Step 1 – File Form 470 with the Schools and Libraries Division (Apprx. July – November)
Filing this form is the first step in a competitive procurement process used to obtain the most cost effective services. Form 470 is designed to assist with describing the eligible telecommunication services that schools and districts seek.
The information given by applicants and posted on the Fund Administrator website allows for competition among interested parties to provide the services requested. The deadline to file Form 470 generally occurs in the first part of January and is posted on the USAC website.
*USAC’s website - www.usac.org
Form 470 – Application Instructions
- Block 1 – Applicant Address and Identifications
- Enter applicant name, address, email, and contact person’s name.
- Block 2 – Summary Description of Needs/Services Requested
- In box 7, check all that apply.
- In box 9, check Internet Access.
- Check 9b, No Option, unless you have an RFP available for the service(s) requested.
- Under Service/Function, enter Web Hosting. what about email
- Under Quantity and/or Capacity, enter the number of schools (include district office if applicable) requesting Cyberschool’s services.
Complete remainder of the form, providing all requested information, and submit Form 470 electronically.
Step 2 – After a mandatory 28 day waiting period, file Form 471.
After submitting Form 470, a period of 28 days must pass before a vendor can be selected by the applicant. Form 470 is posted on the SLD website for public viewing. During this waiting period, all inquiries and bids must be accepted by the applicant.
Before filing Form 471, a price quote and service provider identification number* must be obtained from Interactive Educational Services, Inc. (IES), if selected as vendor of choice. In compliance with state contract law, it must be demonstrable that a signed contract is in place when Form 471 is completed and submitted.
Form 471 must be submitted by the end of the announced filing period but not before the expiration of the 28 day posting/waiting period.
*Interactive Educational Services, Inc. Service Provider Identification Number (SPIN): 143027425
Form 471 – Application Instructions
*Complete instructions and filing requirements for Form 471 are provided on the SLD website. Selected information needed for Form 471 is provided below to assist with this process.
Block 1thru 3 – Enter requested information.
Block 4 – Discount Calculation Worksheet
- Use this worksheet to calculate discount for requested services
Block 5 – Discount Funding Request(s)
Note - For each service (Funding Request Number) a discount is requested, use one Block 5 page.
- Item 11 – Check Internet Access
- Item 12 – Enter Form 470 application number
- Item 13 – Enter 143027425 (IES SPIN #)
- Item 14 – Enter Interactive Educational Services, Inc. (Be sure to enter full name, not IES)
- Item 15 – If month-to-month service is requested, check box 15a. If 15a is checked, divide annual cost by 12 and enter into 23a. Enter the contract number in box 15b (If contract number is needed, please contact IES).
- Item 16 – Enter school’s/district’s main phone number.
- Item 17 – Enter allowable vendor selection date based on Form 471 filing.
- Item 18 – Enter contract award date.
- Item 19 – Enter service start date (Service begins July 1st of current year).
- Item 20a – Enter service end date.
- Item 20b – Enter contract expiration date.
- Item 21 – Enter service description (e.g., web hosting or email)
- Item 22a – Enter information in option a or b, accordingly.
- Item 23 – Enter the cost obtained from item 15, if box 15a was checked, in column F for Non-Recurring Charges.
- Item 24 – Be sure to sign the application or certify online before submission ( For certification a User ID and Password are needed – provide link)
Step 3 – File Form 486 after services have begun.
During spring, the Schools and Libraries Division reviews each Form 471. Based on this review, a funding commitment decision letter is issued. The letter is mailed to the applicant and the vendor chosen to provide the service(s). Once a funding request has been approved, implementation of the requested service(s) can begin.
After implementation of service, Form 486 must be filed to inform the SLD and before disbursement of funds can begin.
*No funds will be distributed until Form 486 has been submitted.
Hints for Faster Service
The SLD recommends filing a separate Form 471 for Priority 1 and Priority 2 items. For example, do not mix a web hosting (Priority 1) request with a request for internal connections (Priority 2). If applying for web hosting service using a separate Form 471, approval will be received faster due to Priority status. Combining Priority 1 and Priority 2 items on a single form is not recommended and will result in a slower approval by SLD. If problems arise with requests the process can be put on hold until all items have been reviewed and approved.
- Acquire a User ID and Password
A user ID and password must be acquired before Form 471 can be certified. Click here for more information on how to request a PIN:
- Obtain pricing information for Cyberschool
Contact us for a price quote to match your school’s/district’s request. To receive a written proposal for Cyberschool’s service, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 661.859.1900 x100.
- Sign a Contract for Requested Services
In accordance with FCC rules and state laws, a written contract must exist between the applicant and selected provider of service before Form 471 can be submitted. Verbal agreements and quotes do not meet these requirements; purchase orders may or may not meet state contract requirements.
Getting Help with E-Rate
The Schools and Libraries Division (SLD) Client Service Bureau is available to answer questions about E-Rate and the application process, toll-free @ 888.203.8100. A toll-free fax number is also available for answers to questions, 888.276.8736. Documents can be obtained using SLD’s toll-free fax on demand service @ 800.959.0733. Up-to-date information on E-Rate and the application process is available online. Visit the SLD website http://www.sl.universalservice.org.
IES will provide as much assistance with E-Rate allowable under program rules. Only general guidance on the application process can be offered. For more information on applying for services under the E-Rate program, please contact our E-Rate team at:
IES is confident Cyberschool provides the most cost effective solution for the web hosting needs of schools/districts.